Blog Archive

Jun 1, 2012

Butterflies

Brian got a butterfly habitat for his birthday.  We ordered live caterpillars and watched them morph into beautiful butterflies.  I personally thought it was the coolest thing ever and Brian is still telling everyone about it as well.

They started out small.
They ate and ate and they grew and grew
 Until they formed their chrysalides.
Then we put them into the habitat
And watched them emerge

We observed and watched and observed the butterflies some more for days.
And then we let them go.

This was a bitter sweet moment for Brian.  It was so fun to have the butterflies climb on his finger and then to watch them fly away, but when they were all gone he kept saying over and over, "I just miss my butterflies."  Such a beautiful experience.

3 comments:

Emily said...

We did butterflies a couple summers ago - it was so much fun!

We hatched ladybugs this year. They were cool - but I liked the butterflies better.

Lisa said...

What a fantastic idea! We'll have to try that with Emmett sometime. He would love it. Where did you order it?

Jenny said...

Emily - I got the idea from you. Thanks!

Lisa - I think they sell them at Target, but you can order it from Amazon. I would go with the Insect Lore brand. I started with the Summit Toys brand and the caterpillars were tiny and dead when they arrived. All five of the Insect Lore caterpillars thrived and became butterflies. The Insect Lore Live Butterfly Garden is a good price on Amazon right now. I'd order it.