Blog Archive

Jun 18, 2012

My Square Foot Garden

I have always thought that I would like a little garden someday, but the thought of getting one started just sounded way too overwhelming and more work than it was worth. . .until last year when I came upon the idea of Square Foot Gardening.  It just made planting a small garden sound so easy and something that even I could do.  It gave me the confidence to get started and come to find out it is easy easy easy and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my little garden.  It brings me so much joy to watch my plants grow and to actually use the produce in our diets.  It is nothing big by all means, but for me, my two little 4x4 square boxes full of awesome plants are a joy and a blessing.

Last year, Spring 2011, was when Mark agreed to build the frames for me.  Thank you Mark!
 I convinced him to get them done before he started the major additions on our house and I planted some little plants.
 This is about what I ended up with at the end of the summer.  I was just totally surprised and amazed that something actually grew.


Here is this year's (2012) garden so far.  Right now I have Bib lettuce, Red lettuce, Romaine lettuce, and I have already harvested the Bok Choy and the Swiss Chard.  I am growing cauliflower, pumpkins, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, strawberries, marigolds, zucchini, yellow peppers, basil, snap peas, cucumbers, and honeydew melon.  Isn't it amazing how much you can grow in two 4x4 squares?

Both kids just love the strawberries.

One evening I found this very interesting bug on my lettuce.  I have no idea what it is, but I assumed in might not be good for the garden so I took a picture of it before I disposed of it.

 Timmy and I like the snap peas.



2 comments:

Tiffany said...

We have a square foot garden too and LOVE it!! It's amazing what you can plant in such a small area. I'm gonna have to try and grow some strawberries. They look AMAZING!!

Emily said...

Awhh, that is gorgeous! I am so jealous. I want a garden SO BAD! One of these days I'll have to figure out how to grow stuff here.
Awesome job, Jenny and Mark! I am so impressed.

We can't wait to come eat your strawberries!