Blog Archive

Jan 1, 2009

Texas Christmas Part 1: Vacation with the Smiths

We've just returned from one BIG Christmas vacation in the great state of Texas. The majority of the vacation in Houston was spent with the Liu side of Mark's family, but since my sister Emily lives in Houston as well, I was lucky enough to spend some extra time with her and her awesome three boys (four boys if you include her husband Nate). This post details the few days I stayed with her before we stayed with Mark's family for Christmas. Brian and I boarded a plane over two weeks ago on December 17, 2008 and we started one of the greatest vacations full of fun, family and food (more food than I ever thought I could eat).


I left five days before Mark and his family started the long drive to Houston, in order to spend some quality time with Emily. I guess that's one of the perks of being a stay at home mom, as long as I take my job (Brian) with me I can go do whatever I want anytime without having to take any "vacation days" from work. Emily picked Brian and me up at the airport after an okay flight with Brian and only a few sore muscles from wrestling with him on my lap for three hours. I got to spend 5 great days playing with her boys Clayton, Isaac and Brigham, catching up with Emily on everything, and watching Brian try to be one of the big boys.


Brian absolutely LOVED Emily's house because it is full of so many cool toys and three cool boys to play with. Clayton introduced him to the world of legos and I really think Brian thought he was such a big kid as he tried to play with (destroyed) everything the boys created.


I had so much fun listening to what the boys did at school, reading stories, playing games, and going to church with them. We played in the warm Houston weather at the park and I had a little time to read and relax. I spent the evenings talking to Emily and Nate, reading and watching movies. The perfect vacation.


Brian's favorite thing at Emily's house was this cute little nativity down on his level and sturdy enough for him to play with. He would often end up at this window sill throughout the days at Emily's. I'm just glad that he enjoyed something that represented the real reason for celebrating this fantastic season. Hopefully next year he'll be old enough to understand the story of Christ's birth.

3 comments:

Katie and Brandon said...

Merry Christmas! I'm glad you were able to have such a relaxing vacation. You guys look great.

Mel said...

I love that Fisher Price Nativity. Bridger was way more into this year (when he wasn't hiding Baby Jesus in the heater vents). Glad you had a Merry Christmas!

Emily said...

Oh Jenz!

I miss you already. . .

It was so fun to have you here - I'm so lucky to have such cool and amazing sisters!

Give Bri-Guy a kiss from me and the boys!