Blog Archive

Apr 4, 2022

Mexico Trip - Uxmal, Mayapan, Cenotes

For the last few months I thought I would just be done with our blog family record, as I have not found the time to post. But as I really think about it, I truly value this family journal and the record it provides to me and my family. So, I will make a quick catch up for the rest of the Mexico trip and the last few months and get back to posting more often.  

After our one night stay at the beach in Celestun, we headed deep into the jungle to visit Mayan ruins and explore some of the many cenotes (underground fresh water holes). We arrived at the Hacienda Uxmal Hotel after dark. It was originally an old hacienda made into a hotel just a short walking distance from the Uxmal Mayan ruins. We were deep in the jungle, and when we woke up in the morning to all the jungle sounds, Timmy asked if the sounds were from a recording the hotel provided for their guests. It did actually sound like recorded jungle birds and sounds. It was amazing!



I guess some very famous people have stayed in this hacienda over the years. We happened to get the Jackie Kennedy room.


We met my family early that morning for a quick breakfast and to walk over to the incredible and famous Uxmal Mayan ruins. I loved exploring Uxmal! 

















Ruben's sister and her husband joined us for the rest of the trip. They had a drone and shared these amazing photos with us. I love how they were taken while we were exploring!


After Uxmal, we checked out of the hacienda and boarded our awesome family bus and headed out into the jungle and through some tiny towns to find some really great cenotes to enjoy. I was blown away by this first stop. It was so beautiful, deep, clear and fun!

There were some other people there, but our group was large and kind of took over.

I loved just floating in the water taking pictures and watching everyone jump in!




I am so impressed that both Brian and Timmy were brave enough to jump off the top! It was a long way down! This picture does not show the height as well as I would like!

The lower platform was constantly being used to group jumping fun!

After that one cenote, we stopped at the Mayan ruins called Mayapan. The kids liked these ruins because they could climb and run all over them!

Timmy was not too thrilled about the height of the big pyramid, but he was brave to make it to the top and down again!


Brian and cousins have no problem with heights, but sometimes I get nervous when watching them.


It was crazy windy up there (hence my backwards cap), but an amazing view of the other ruins and the endless jungle.

Timmy made it down alive!


Brian explored with cousins and talked about how the Mayapan ruins would make the perfect airsoft arena.


After Mayapan, we ate some snacks on the bus and stopped in another town to see some more cenotes. Light was quickly leaving, but we were able to visit a couple. Both were underground. One was full of bats.



Timmy borrowed a mask and snorkel from the Scott's and discovered how much he loved it! He and Caitlin explored every corner there!








When we were finished with the cenotes it was dark and we were all very tired and very hungry. We hung on though for a few more hours to stop in a bigger town for gas and Carl's Jr.  Then we headed to our next hotel and fun adventure.

No comments: