Blog Archive

Apr 10, 2009

The diagnosis was. . .

. . .tonsillitis, but does tonsillitis come with an extremely high fever that lasts for days and little red bumps all over the body? I didn't think so.Brian had several new and not so fun experiences in the past week and a half. He experienced his first high fever ever, his first trip to the doctor other than for a well child visit, and he drank almost a bottle of Motrin (over the course of a week not all at once).

It all started last week with a couple days of fever and a little runny nose after his horrid immunizations. Then he was perfectly fine for about four days and he woke up on Tuesday the happiest little guy ever. That morning he took a nap and then we went to visit with some friends down the street. I brought him home for lunch and he started eating. About half way through lunch he started moaning and breathing really fast. I put my hand on his head and he was on fire! Out of no where he had a fever of 104.6 F and it got worse before it got better. I quickly tried to cool him down and gave him some Motrin. Now what? I thought. I'm not a doctor and my little Brian is starting to get lethargic. It took an hour to get a hold of a nurse at the doctor's office so I'm grateful for a Mom who's taken care of sick kids and 200 sick missionaries to talk to while I was waiting to ask a nurse. Why didn't I go to nursing school?

The nurse said his fever was pretty high so I should bring him in to get checked out and we made an appointment for an hour later. After a little nap we went to the doctor for an extremely traumatic checkup. I've never seen Brian scream that loud for that long. In the end the doctor said he had tonsillitis and to just make him comfortable and give him Motrin. So we went home. The fever lasted through the night, disappeared in the morning and came back with a furry that afternoon. By Thursday he seemed much better except for some little red bumps appearing on his tummy. This morning they had spread to his back and by the afternoon he had them all over his body and face. Come to find out it wasn't tonsillitis at all. Brian has Roseola or "baby measels."

So much for the Easter Egg hunt with all my little nieces and nephews we were going to have here tomorrow. Sorry guys. Despite the rash, Brian feels much better, but I don't want his little cousins to get it from him so we won't have them all over to play with all his toys etc.

I guess I better just get used to taking care of sick kids because I'm sure there will be many weeks like this and worse to come. I am grateful that it took Brian a whole year to even get a bad fever and that his attitude held up pretty well for how nasty he felt. I hope you are completely better tomorrow kiddo.

7 comments:

jess said...

It stinks to have sick kids! And high fevers are scary! I'm glad it's nothing too serious, and that Bri is such a good baby. Hope he feels better soon!

Tiffany said...

Roseola is no fun! Lilly got it at 6 months, and then got the full-blown measles at a year. But, they say when the bumps start to appear it gets much better after that. I hope Brian gets feeling better. Too bad he has to miss out on all the fun this weekend!

Margaret said...

Sad day! :'( I hope he gets well soon. Good luck taking care of him!

Emily said...

Oh, poor Bri-Guy!

I remember when Clayton had Roseola the week we moved to New York City - I didn't even have a doctor or know where the hospital was. Ug, fevers always scare me.

Allison said...

Oh, poor Bri Bri, and poor you. I remember when Jordie had Roseola too. It was the first time (of many) that he had a really high fever and it was so scary.

On a funnier note,this is the conversation I had with Dave last night after I got home and he told me that mom had called:

Dave: Your mom called, we aren't doing the easter egg hunt because some of the kids are sick. Brian has some disease or something.

Me: Oh, I think he has tonillitis.

D: No, it wasn't that, it was. . .um. . .brocolli.

Me: He has a disease called brocolli? Right.

D: That's what your mom said.

Me: Uh-huh, okay Dave, whatever.

(Fast forward to this morning as I am reading your blog)

Me: Um, Dave? Brian has Roseola

D: Yeah, that's what I said. . .brocolli.

So there you go, it could be worse. He could have a disease called brocolli, and that just wouldn't be good.

Jenny said...

Brocolli Dave? I'm sure glad he doesn't have that. I can't stop laughing.

Vivian said...

Brocolli aka broccoli sounds yummy. Xander pretends they are little trees, eats it and says "Trees all gone!"

But anywhoo, I'm sorry that Brian is sick. Fevers are always scary even the little ones. I'm glad he's almost over it and getting back to normal. Hopefully it will be another year before he gets another one!