
When I was a Sophomore at BYU, they were offering semester studies at Nauvoo. I have always loved Church History and jumped at the chance. It was one of the greatest few months of my life. I hadn't been back there since and I was so excited. I enjoyed the time even more than I anticipated. I love Nauvoo.
We stayed at Nauvoo State Park because it was so close to Old Nauvoo. When we got there, Mark grilled us some good chicken for dinner.
Timmy worked on whittling a stick.
And I went for a lovely walk to the little lake in the state park and then around the big block.
My heart was full to be back there.
The next morning was Sunday. We went to church. Memories of my time in that building came flooding back. The boys helped with the Sacrament and it was a lovely meeting.
After church we headed over to Carthage to visit the jail. We arrived before it opened, but had some food and I enjoyed the outside while no one was there. Visiting Carthage gives me a deep gratitude for the Prophet Joseph Smith and his sacrifice to restore the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the earth.
After Carthage we went to the Nauvoo Visitor's Center.
I loved looking at the model of the Nauvoo temple.
As I was looking up my ancestors in the visitor center, I learned that so many received their endowments in the last week possible before leaving the city. They cared so much to have that endowment of power before they had to leave. We were able to find a few places they lived on the map.
Then we went up to the old Pioneer Cemetery. We found my 3rd Great Grandfather, Edward Partridge's burial marker. He gave so much to building up the Church, especially in Missouri.
We stopped and took a picture at another 3rd Great Grandfather's house, Winslow Farr. Some Nauvoo missionaries live in his house now.
We visited the Nauvoo House, the Smith Family Homestead, the Mansion House and the Red Brick Store.
We took a wagon ride around Old Nauvoo. The horses are so incredible and the missionaries were super awesome as well.
We played pioneer games and went to the Family Living Center where the kids got really competitive and determined to be the fastest ever on loading a wagon box.
The boys made a rope.
Then we used the rope we made for some jump roping.
No comments:
Post a Comment