I had to document this milestone in my life. Last weekend I ran my first race ever! Yes, it was just a 5k, and I didn't run it fast at all, I ran it in 32 minutes, but I did it. I actually ran, or jogged slowly, for over three miles in a race.
This 5k was a charity event at Wheeler Farm put on by a family in our neighborhood, so we went as a family. Mark pushed the kids and finished way before I did, and that was with letting both kids run for part of it. He was definitely the first person pushing a stroller to cross the finish line. I'm not surprised he's fast, but he never just goes running just to run. Seriously the guy is good at any sport he does.
Brian particularly enjoyed the event and has been talking about it all week and keeps asking when we can run another race. He loved it and when he was running I could not keep up with him. He was fast too! He keeps his number safe in his room.
For me being able to run a 5k was a big deal, because in all my 30 years of life up until a few months ago, I refused to run more that 30 feet anywhere. I always wondered why in the world would someone run for fun? Why? It sounds miserable. Well, come to find out, it is miserable until you actually try it on a consistent basis and then it really can be kind of fun. I thought the 5k was fun anyway. We'll see how I feel after training for and running my first half marathon at the end of July. Yikes! What have I gotten myself into?



6 comments:
Good for you, Jenny! I think that is so great.
What thuh???? Are you serious? A 5k? And a marathon in July??? Gah Jenny, you just totally blew my excuse that genetically Evans girls can't run!
Way to go! Wow - I'm so impressed.
And Mark you are quite the man! I'm sure those little boys had a super ride.
Awesome! I'm going to try to run my first 5k this summer. I'm dreading it!! Reading this and seeing the pictures makes me feel a little braver. :)
I'm so impressed, but it also means that my excuse of "I'm just not built for running" is not so legit anymore....
Go Jenny! That's awesome.
That is awesome Jenny! I was the same way and started running a couple of months ago. I have my first 5k on Saturday...thanks for the inspiration!
Post a Comment