The last few Christmases my parents have been on a mission, so we missed a few years of one of my favorite traditions. Since before I was born, my mom's side of the family celebrated the Swiss-German Sami Claus day on December 6. I remember those family parties when I was a child and there was always such an air of joy, fun and anticipation each year. I am grateful my mom is willing to continue the tradition and that Sami Claus is so willing to attend.
Sometime before the party, my mother meticulously made graham cracker gingerbread houses for every grandchild in attendance. Then she had bowls and bowls of candy and little bags of icing and the kids went to town on decorating their very own little gingerbread houses. Brian looks at his and talks about it every single day since the party. He is so proud that he decorated it all by himself. Timmy mostly enjoyed eating the candy.
After a delicious dinner that included cheese and chocolate fondue, we sang carols while waiting for Sami Claus to arrive.
Allison took this beautiful picture of Sami Claus trudging through the snow to visit us all. Somehow I was so focused on what was happening with the kids inside that I missed taking in the beauty of the Ranch on that day. I love this picture.
The kids loved visiting with Sami Claus and getting a stocking full of goodies and toys. I think they may have felt so comfortable because Sami Claus' voice sounded much like Grandpa's voice.
Thank you Mom and Dad so much for all the work and love and time you put into the Sami Claus party this year. It was unforgettable and I love that my kids get to participate in such a fun and memorable tradition.






2 comments:
What an amazing tradition to pass on. I love it.
Aw, what great pictures! Looks so fun. So sad we missed it - like always.
Post a Comment