Blog Archive

Feb 28, 2011

Potty Trained

 I am pretty sure I can now say with confidence that Brian is potty trained!  How it all happened was a little different than I had envisioned.  Back in September when he was two and a half years old he seemed very interested, so we started the process.  He picked up quickly on how to use the toilet when I put him on it, but he could not recognize when he needed to go.  Not once during the next two months did Brian tell me that he needed to go to the bathroom.  Unless I bribed him to sit on the potty every half hour to an hour, he would have an accident.  After almost two months of many accidents and a little frustration on both sides I decided it wasn't worth the fight and Brian happily went back to wearing a diaper.  I decided to try again at a later date hoping he would have interest again in the future.  

For the next few months I would ask him periodically if he wanted to wear underwear.  The answer was always, "No, I want my diaper."  Then the day after his cousin Jordan's birthday party at the beginning of February, I asked Brian if he wanted to wear underwear and he said excitedly, "Like Jordie?"  He's been wearing underwear during the day ever since.  I guess in the last few months he matured enough and he was really ready.  He goes hours without needing to go and he tells me every time he does need to use the potty.  He's only had two accidents in a month and those were at the beginning when he was just figuring it all out.

The first potty training attempt was more difficult than I thought it would be, and the second attempt was much easier than I thought it would be.  I guess for Brian I should have waited until he was really ready.  In the end I'm just glad to have that hurdle out of the way.  Now we just need to get him night trained.  He does fine wearing underwear for his nap during the day, but he has never stayed dry at night.  This time I'll wait until he seems more ready before we attempt night sleeping without a diaper.

We are so proud of our Bri Bri!

7 comments:

Breanna said...

With my oldest,Michael, all my friends said to wait until he was 3 and start to train him. When he turned 3 he got underwear for his birthday and only had a few accidents. Amazing! Now I have James who is 2 1/2 and my mom asked if I would potty train him before the new baby in May. I said "nope!" She can't believe I'm going to have 2 in diapers at the same time. To me it's easier to change a diaper than it is to potty train. I'll just wait until he's ready.

Emily said...

Way to go! I dread potty-training. But when all is said and done, I definitely prefer underwear to stinky diapers.

I love the super shirts!! :)

Natasha said...

That is awesome...way to go Brian. Thanks for posting this, it makes me feel so much better. I tried starting potty training with Kelbee a few weeks ago, she was interested in the potty, so I went for it. But it was a huge mistake, she just couldn't quite physically learn to hold it before she went to he potty. So I figure I will try again in a few months, when she is ready for sure. So thanks for posting, and congrats that is awesome!

Jenny said...

Emily - Thanks for the super shirts! We love all the nice T-shirts you got the boys when you were here!

Margaret said...

Go, Brian! I bet you must be proud. I recently taught Tony how to clean the toilet. Look at us making bathroom improvements in the lives of our men!

Just kidding. I think Brian's accomplishment is much more monumental. He is so adorable. I love the matching shirts!

Allison said...

Those boys are so cute together! And it is so awesome that the second time around Brian was so easy. I can't believe how fast he is growing up.

Thanks for babysitting for me yesterday too. Later that night Jordie told me how much fun he had and he said "Bri-bri is my favorite little guy."

We also found Brian's tractor and Jordie is keeping it safe for him. He was really worried about how sad Brian might be because he left it.

Vivian said...

Wahoo!! I am so impressed that he's trained before 3!!

I was talking about potty training with some friends last night and one said her pediatrician said that for some kids, the function of the brain doesn't switch for night training up to age six and that it is completely normal. Xander night trained first. Just goes to show that all kids are so different.