Blog Archive

Sep 14, 2016

August 2016

Just like July, we ushered August in with more boat making.  This time to float them down the stream in the park.  We are so lucky to have a backyard that extends into the park!


Watermelon was eaten in many different ways.  This time the boys dug into it with spoons.

We spent one day at the ranch to say goodbye to Emily and her kids before they left to go home to Texas.  We miss them and summer days at the ranch so much!



We really started getting lots of good eggs from the hens!

The boys did more pony training.  This time I thought they would both be fine riding on their own.



The ponies were good until the boys let them trot and then Jojo started galloping which scared Chip.  Chip began to buck and jump and Brian went flying off into the dirt!  I'm glad he was wearing a helmet.  Miraculously Timmy stayed on and got Jojo stopped while I helped Brian who had some bumps and scrapes and was screaming like he was dying.  Finally Brian calmed down and realized that he was more scared than hurt.  He was then super brave and got right back on Chip and rode him around for awhile.  He doesn't seem to be too traumatized by it all because he still wants to ride Chip.  Here he is taking a break to read in his bed after the incident.  I felt bad Brian got bucked off, but I am so glad he didn't get really hurt.

We went with Mark and one of his coworkers that was here from California up to Bells Canyon. It just happened to be on the only day in August that is rained and was cool!


The rainbow was worth it!

Mark got the kids harnesses and took us rock climbing!  We had so much fun!




We went to a BBQ with long time friends of Mark's family.  It was fun to hear them reminisce about all the vacations and fun times the two families experienced together. All the kids got along very nicely as well!


We spent quite of bit of time watching the Olympics in August.  The boys were really into the swimming and gymnastics.

I loved watching the two baby hummingbirds out our front window grow so big that they could not fit in their nest anymore and they flew away.

I took the boys to visit Grandma Joycie.  They played the piano for her and we played games.  She is the most amazing and sweet lady I know.  I still can't believe she got down on the floor to play with the boys at her age!

This is a painting of her when she was younger painted by her mother.  It is my grandma to a T, classy and beautiful in every way!

I cherish these visits with all my heart!

The boys passed of an article of faith and Timmy wanted a cone from Arctic Circle as the reward!

We went mountain biking on a little trail system by the Jordan River.  It was a blast!

 

More ponies!

The night before school started the cub scouts came over for a fire.  Brian did a great job building it.

 We spent lot of time with the chickens and the ponies.


We got three more hens from a friend who had too many at his house.  They are a little older then ours and adjusted well and are great layers!  This is one of them, but they all look the same so if you see one you know what all three look like.


During August we started getting about 10 eggs each day.  Now we get 11 or 12.


We love fresh eggs!  Timmy's favorite way to eat them is fried whites only on top of buttered whole grain toast.

Brian likes them scrambled in garlic butter and well done!


School started on August 17th!  It seemed to come way too early for me!  I was so sad leading up to school thinking about Timmy going all day.  I was quite shocked to find myself being the mother who cried when the kids started school.  I don't know what happened, but it was really an adjustment for me.  Timmy on the other hand adjusted no problem.  He loves first grade and learning Chinese.  Brian is doing great as well, but took a few weeks to adjust from the care free summer days to a rigorous schedule of school, homework, and practicing.  I am so grateful they like school and that they try really hard to be good students!


Brian and Timmy were both happy to see their buddies as school.  This is Brian and his best school friend.

It was so helpful for Timmy to be in the same class as his best friend from church and Kindergarten.  These two are such cute little friends!  I don't know who that little photo bomber is behind them though.

We went to back to school night to meet the teachers.  

Hanging on the wall was this picture of Timmy holding a paper that says, "When I grow up I want to be a dad."  Then he drew a picture of his future family (a wife and two boys) surrounded by hearts.  It was the most adorable thing!  Most of the boys wrote they wanted to be policemen or firemen,  Timmy is the cutest!

Uncle Luke and Sunny came to town!  This was the best weekend.  We miss them so much!  Luke gave the boys special really nice mechanical pencils.  They were so thrilled and love using the pencils for their homework.

We ate lots of delicious crab!


Tony and Margaret came into town as well and blessed their baby at the Hsiao house.  It was so fun to be with so much family!

And watch these brothers have so much fun playing spike ball together.

Luke taught Timmy how to use a yo-yo and he got really into it.

Then we had to say goodbye to Sunny who had to head back to California for her job at Google, and Luke stayed until the next weekend as he was on break from school.

The next day I watched these four play Bocce Ball together.  It was pretty cute!


The day Luke left it was his birthday, so we had him over for dinner!  I got to use the glasses my Grandma Joyce gave me the week before.


We took the ponies for a walk in the park.

Brian was really into carving his sticks this month.  He is getting pretty good at using his pocket knife and is great about being safe with it.

Mandy came for a little visit and Ellie got to ride Jojo.  I love that Ellie girl!


My big life change in August involved chopping off my hair! The day before I cut it, Timmy wanted to play with it.  He thought it was so funny putting it over my face and making it all crazy.  Trying to brush through it afterwards only strengthened my resolve to be rid of it all!


I went from this...

to this and I lost a few pounds in the process.

I donated it to the charity Children With Hair Loss.  They will use it to make free wigs for kids who have lost their hair.  I hope it can be used.  It was really shocking to cut that much off, but it feels so much better and is so much faster to wash, brush and dry.  Sometimes I don't feel as pretty as I did with long hair, and sometimes I feel a bit boyish looking, and sometimes I can't figure out how to do it.  There are pros and cons to short hair.  I think I have concluded after a few weeks of it that the pros out way the cons and I am glad I cut it all off.

1 comment:

Rich C said...

Your grandma looks just like Nicole Kidman in her painting!