We went to Kaohsiung for several reasons. First, to visit Mark's mother's sister who lives there right now. Second, because Mark's mom grew up in that city and I wanted to see where she had lived, and third because we wanted to see more of Taiwan than Taipei, and Kaohsiung is a warmer fun place to visit. It was so fun to see where Mark's mom grew up and to have her show us her old house and neighborhood.
The day after we arrived in Kaohsiung, Mark's aunt's husband took us on one of the nicest outings of the week. We took the ferry out to a tourist island called Qijin. It was a beautiful day full of sunshine and ocean breezes.
I loved the boat ride. There is just something about the sea air and the sound of the boat moving through the water that makes me smile.
The island was full of little tourist shops and restaurants. We stopped at a few places as we walked the island to buy Brian a hat and to buy bottles of fresh sweet sugar cane juice.
We got to the other side of the island and the buildings opened up to the expanse of the ocean. Brian was in awe. After trying several times, we gave up on getting him to look away from the ocean and at the camera for a picture.
This was his first time ever putting his toes in the sea. He was tentative at first, like he is with most new experiences, but after a few minutes he warmed up to the idea of the beach and loved it, that is until he got a wave full of sand in his face.
After the ferry ride back to the main island we stopped for what I am missing right now, Taiwan's famous shaved ice. Now I know when I say shaved ice most of you picture a little snow cone with blue syrup on the top. Well this is not a blue snow cone. It is more like a meal. You can choose from hundreds of things to put on top of your bowl of shaved ice. I personally like a variety of Taiwan's delicious fresh fruit topped with sweet and condensed milk. Mark prefers his ice with red bean, condensed milk, a raw egg and ice cream.
The time in Kaohsiung was relaxed and laid back. We stayed at Mark's aunt's house and spent time there eating and enjoying each others company. This "hat" Brian is wearing is the rind from a pomelo, or in my mind a really big grapefruit. Oh how I miss the fresh fruit and bread from Taiwan.
None of the places we stayed had bathtubs. Brian enjoyed the showers, but when Mark decided to fill up this mop bucket with water for Brian's bath, Brian couldn't get enough.
Playing with his cuppies (stacker cups)
We spent one day in Kaohsiung visiting Mark's mom's old house and walking around her neighborhood. She was surprised to see that this Japanese restaurant was still open. She and Daniel went on one of their first dates here.
Alice gave us a tour through the market place that she would visit almost daily when she was a girl. There were venders there that she remembers buying food from as a child. They have been selling the same products in the same little space for over forty years.
This picture in in front of the house she grew up in. It is currently being used as a church.
More fish viewing for Brian. . .
Later that same evening, after we all had a nice nap, we decided to go back to that very same Japanese restaurant that Mark's parents went to when they were dating. It turned out to be a fantastic authentic Japanese dining experience.
After dinner we went back to the apartment to put Brian to sleep. Then Mark's aunt and uncle stayed home with him and allowed me, Mark and his parents to go out for a few hours. The Lantern Festival was just beginning and there was an incredible celebration down on the banks of the Ai Hu, or Love River. Of course there were lanterns lit and a fun celebratory atmosphere.
The next morning we said goodbye to the relatives and took the train back up to Taipei.
I am more than happy to report that the flight home was just opposite of the flight to Taiwan. This time we ordered the baby bassinet for Brian.
On the way there we didn't even think it was an option because he didn't meet the size requirements. He was well under the weight limit, but oh about 6 inches too long for the thing. Gratefully his length didn't keep him from getting excited about having his very own "bed" on the airplane. After several hours of walking up and down every aisle of the plane with Ye Ye and allowing his Nai Nai to entertain him, he decided to fall asleep in his "bed". It was an absolute miracle. I couldn't believe my eyes. He slept peacefully like this for about five hours. Now five hours isn't even close to his usual 12 hours of sleep at night, but it was unbelievable for Brian in this situation. Not only did he sleep on this flight, but on the flight from L.A. to Salt Lake he passed out on my lap in the middle of take off and slept until we descended into the valley. What a way to end one amazing vacation.
5 comments:
How did you get the bassinet? I am flying in a couple weeks with my 2 girls and I'm a little scared for myself!
wow. . . I'm still soaking it all in.
I love the mop bucket bath! And I have never heard of the airplane bassinet! What a great idea!!!
Fun trip. Thanks for sharing all the details and pictures. My boys are SOOOOOOOO jealous you got to ride on a bullet train!
Um... red beans and a raw egg with ice cream? I think I am going to vomit. Other than that I think it sounds like such a fun trip!
Brian is so cute in all the pictures. I love the ones in the mop bucket!
mmm, shaved ice. Don't knock it till you try it...seriously, heaven!
Oh, I envy you guys. I love shaved ice too. My favorite now is the one with fresh mango. You can only have it in Taiwan with its great mangos. Yum.
Great pictures. I especially love the one in which Brian had a fruit hat on :-) and the lantern one. It was very beautiful.
Post a Comment